Omega 3s serve as building materials for series 3 prostaglandins, some of which help our kidneys get rid of excess water held in tissues. The excess weight of some overweight people is largely retained water (edema). Omega 3s help dump this water.
Omega 3s increase metabolic rate, oxidation rate, and energy production. This effect begins to show up when 3 or more tablespoons of flax oil per day are used. When metabolic rate goes up, more fat and glucose are burned. Less fat deposition takes place. This increased production of energy is the opposite of what happens when we fast or diet on calorie-restricted programs. The latter decrease our metabolic rate, and lead us to put on weight even on a small intake of food. There is some evidence that obesity is the result of gross overeating in only about 10% of cases. The other 90% are lacking exercise and choosing foods lacking important essential nutrients.
Omega 3s help us lose weight because with increased energy levels, we feel more like being active. This is a special bonus, because activity makes us feel good, builds lean body (muscle) mass, makes us healthier, increases our metabolic rate, and resets our fat thermostat to a lower level, helping make weight loss permanent.
In addition to Omega 3s, chromium helps build lean body mass and increases energy levels in the 80% of the population that is deficient in this mineral. Carnitine helps transport fatty acids into the mitochondria in our cells where they are burned to produce energy.